Posts Tagged with “health”
Meditation is the journey from sound to silence, from movement to stillness, from a limited identity to unlimited space.
Meditation has been practiced since ancient times. It is the practice where an individual uses a technique like mindfulness or focusing the mind on a particular object, thought or activity, for achieving a mentally clear and emotionally calm and stable state of mind.
Majority of the present generation is suffering from stress, depression, mental instability and the like. People nowadays have no time for things like meditation. Everybody’s lost in their day to day lives that their mental health as well as physical health is also ignored. Meditation is one of the keys to relieve stress and maintain mental stability.
There are solely 6 types of meditations,
- Mindfulness meditation
- Spiritual meditation
- Focused meditation
- Movement meditation
- Mantra meditation
- Transcendental meditation
These practices require different skills and mindsets.
- Mindfulness meditation – it originates from the Buddhists teachings and is the most popular meditation technique in the west. In mindfulness meditation, you pay attention to your thoughts as they pass through your mind. You simply observe and take note of any patterns.
- Spiritual meditation – This meditation is used in eastern religions, such as Hinduism, Christian faith and Daoism. It is similar to prayer. It can be practiced at home or at a place of worship.
- Focused meditation – This type of meditation involves concentration using any of the five senses. Like focusing on something internal, like breathe. It can also be done by counting beads of a Mala or staring at a candle flame. This meditation is for those who requires focus in life.
- Movement meditation – it is an active form of meditation where the movement guides you. This practice may include walking through the woods, gardening, etc. it is an effective way of meditation for those who find peace in actions.
- Mantra meditation – This meditation use’s a repetitive sound to clear the mind. It can be a word, phrase or sound such as the popular “om.”
- Transcendental meditation – it is the most popular type of meditation all around the world. This practice is for those who like structure and are serious about maintaining a meditation practice.
Benefits of meditation
Meditation has the following benefits,
- Makes you feel happier
- Improves your memory
- Makes you feel more grateful
- Reduces stress
- Improves concentration
- Improves sleep
- Improves decision making
- Encourages mindfulness
- Encourages a healthy lifestyle
- Reduces back pain
- Reduces loneliness
- Helps in fighting addiction
How to meditate
Meditation can be practiced in different ways, one of the simple methods to practice meditation is as following.
- Find a quite spot
- Sit comfortably; sit cross legged on the floor if preferred.
- Focus on breathe.
- Feel the breathe going in and out
- Notice thoughts that arise
- Gently return to the breathe-calmly let the thoughts pass and come back to the present by focusing on the breathe
- Aim for 5 minutes
- Practice every day – be more concerned with making this a habit as opposed to the quality of the session.
- Make progress patiently.