The generation that destroys the environment is not the generation that pays the price. That is the problem.Wangari Maathai
We all dream of saving the world from deadly aliens and monsters at least once in our life. If you’re anything like me then it’s probably an annual dream whenever we are reminded about the catastrophic events occurring all over the world every year.
The one giant deadly monster that we need to destroy and save our planet from is CLIMATE CHANGE. The problem of climate change is clear and evident to all of us. The constant rise in atmospheric temperature, increasing rate of deforestation, outburst of viruses, crop failures, increase in seawater levels, decrease in ground water table, disappearing of large numbers of birds and many more. It’s an endless list.
Thanks to us that we have created a world full of advancements at the cost of our planet. It is a matter of debate, protests, and social media campaigns every year and it takes no time for people to forget them and return to their routine lives.
The problem of climate change is undoubtedly unavoidable and it is pretty serious.
So how can we really save the world from the catastrophic disasters taking place due to climate change?
If you ask anyone the same question the first thing that will pop into their minds is, “PLANT MORE TREES”. YES, we definitely should plant as many trees as possible but do we know how do trees really help?
Planting more trees.
As we all know trees provide oxygen to all the life that exist on this planet and also absorbs carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. But do we know how much oxygen does a tree produce?
Firstly we must understand that the amount of oxygen produced by a tree depends on various factors such as the age of the tree, the species of tree, and the surrounding conditions. On average a 100ft tall tree with 18” diameter can produce 2721.554 kg of oxygen per year which can roughly support 10 lives per year.
A single tree absorbs carbon dioxide at a rate of 48 pounds per year and release enough oxygen back into the atmosphere to support two human beings. But we must also remember that trees themselves absorbs some portion, roughly half of the oxygen they produced for its own processes and release carbon dioxide during night time where there is no sunlight available for photosynthesis.
As it is popularly known that Amazon rain-forest is the earth’s largest biodiversity. The contribution of the Amazon rain -forest to keeping the earth’s atmosphere cool is immense. Similarly the number of trees we plant the more it will be helpful in keeping the atmosphere cooler.
But is that it? Is growing more trees the only way we can save our planet? Yes to a certain extent but not entirely.Read More
Pollution by Materials
We contribute in several ways in increasing the atmospheric temperature of the earth. For example, according to reports of national geographic, all human made materials is now equal weight of all life on earth.
One of the major construction materials is concrete. Concrete is responsible for emitting large amount of heat into the atmosphere due to the exothermic reaction.
There should be advancements and alternatives available for construction to curb this problem up to some extent.
Pollution due to vehicles
The other major reason adding to the atmospheric temperature is the smoke and heat released from the vehicles. As of 2019, the total number of vehicles stood at 295.08 million. Around 60% of the Indian population prefers traveling by road which adds the number of vehicles running on the road and that ultimately results the atmospheric pollution.
There is a way to curb the increasing number of vehicles on road by encouraging the use of public transport. As per reports it is proved that the usage of public transportation system is proved to be helpful in producing lesser pollution or more Eco friendly. But cars are believed to be more comfortable as compared to much public transport. As of 2020, there are close to 300 million cars alone on roads of India.
To solve this, people up to the age of 25 should be encouraged to use public transport as much as possible instead of private vehicles.
Thus advancements must be made in public transport system adding to its comfort and affordability. However difficult it may seem but it is really important to maintain the temperature of the earth.
There should be global tree plantation campaigns with a set target which should be accomplished at any cost. Planting as many trees will help maintain the atmospheric temperature to a great extent.
Despite that, the use of fuel driven vehicles should be minimized and instead one should lean more towards using an electrically operated vehicles that are getting pretty popular these days, cars especially.
It is a joint effort that can bring the desired change necessary for the planet.
Our body needs basically 7 types of nutrients for overall development of the human body. Nutrients such as Carbohydrates, Proteins, Water, Fiber, Vitamins, Minerals, Fats.
If present in sufficient proportions, then are beneficial for the development and growth of the human body, whereas excess of it can cause various health related problems overtime.
Nutrients provide energy to human body.They helps reduce the risk of heart related diseases and other diseases such as diabetes, strokes, and some cancers.
- Reduce high blood pressure.
- Lower high cholesterol
- Improve ability to fight diseases
- Increase energy levels.
Nutrients are not available in our body; they depend largely on the food we consume on daily basis. Also sometimes our body may not absorb the necessary nutrients that are essential for the body which causes deficiency.
The deficiencies caused by the lack of nutrients in the body are;
- Iron deficiency Iron deficiency is the most common and widespread deficiency all over the world, which can lead to anemia. It is a blood disorder that can cause Fatigue, weakness and a variety of other symptoms.
- The iron deficiency can be overcome by having the following items in the daily diet;
- Lean red meat
- Food rich in vitamin C
- Vitamin A deficiency It plays an important role in strengthening the immune system against infectious diseases. The lack of Vitamin A causes Blindness in children. In order to provide higher amount of
- Vitamin A following food having high amount of Vitamin A should be included in your diet;
- Green vegetables
- Reddish- yellow fruits
- Vitamin B1 deficiency Lack of Vitamin B1 can cause
- Weight loss
- Memory loss
- Its deficiency can be overcome by having the following food in your diet
- Vitamin B3 deficiency Its symptoms include diarrhea, dementia and skin disorders. Its deficiency can be overcome by taking necessary supplements.
- Vitamin B 9 deficiency Vitamin B 9 helps in making the Red blood Cells and the DNA in the body. It is important in developing a child’s brain and spinal cord. The Vitamin B 9 can be obtained from the following food items;
- Whole grains
- Leafy green vegetables
- Grain products
During pregnancy women must consume enough Vitamins B9 for a healthy delivery. It also helps prevent birth defects.
- Vitamin B 12 deficiency Vitamin B 12 helps in producing healthy Red blood cells in the body. Vitamin deficiency is common in people who are
- Age above 60 years
- Have diabetes
- Lack intrinsic factor
- A deficiency can cause Anemia.
Symptoms of Vitamin B12 deficiency are
- Fatigue and weakness
- Short breath
- Weight loss
- Pale skin
If the deficiency is not treated at time then it can cause irreversible damage to the nervous system.
But how do I know if I have a nutrient deficiency?
These are the following symptoms that are observed due to nutrients deficiency,
- Pale skin
- Hair loss
- Trouble breathing
- Food cravings
- Lack of concentration
Visit the site for more discount coupons.
Since the outbreak of the pandemic COVID-19, various environmental effects have been registered. There has been a severe decrease in Air pollution, Noise pollution, Water pollution, Land pollution.
The outbreak of corona virus pandemic has led to travel ban across the world. Also, the movement of the vehicles has been banned. Due to the lock-down imposed in many countries, the movement of people has also decreased, which in a way has helped in reducing the plastic waste.Read More
It has been seen that the water bodies such as lakes, rivers, oceans, has become clearer as compared to its previous conditions.
In India, rivers like The Ganges, River Yamuna, etc has become cleaner than it has ever been since past few years. Even various schemes implemented to make the river Ganges clean, has failed to do so. While, the lock-down has proved to be beneficial in helping make river Ganges clean again.
Due to the reduction in movement of vehicles, the sky can be seen more clearly. In china, there has been noted 25% reduction in carbon emission whereas 50% reduction in nitrogen emission.
In many water bodies or rivers, various aquatic animals have returned due to the reduced pollution and lesser human movement. Not only the water bodies, but many animals have taken over the roads on various cities due to no human population or no human movement.
Thus it can be concluded that, a two weeks to one month lock-down should be followed every year to maintain the environmental equilibrium.
Meditation is the journey from sound to silence, from movement to stillness, from a limited identity to unlimited space.
Meditation has been practiced since ancient times. It is the practice where an individual uses a technique like mindfulness or focusing the mind on a particular object, thought or activity, for achieving a mentally clear and emotionally calm and stable state of mind.
Majority of the present generation is suffering from stress, depression, mental instability and the like. People nowadays have no time for things like meditation. Everybody’s lost in their day to day lives that their mental health as well as physical health is also ignored. Meditation is one of the keys to relieve stress and maintain mental stability.
There are solely 6 types of meditations,
- Mindfulness meditation
- Spiritual meditation
- Focused meditation
- Movement meditation
- Mantra meditation
- Transcendental meditation
These practices require different skills and mindsets.
- Mindfulness meditation – it originates from the Buddhists teachings and is the most popular meditation technique in the west. In mindfulness meditation, you pay attention to your thoughts as they pass through your mind. You simply observe and take note of any patterns.
- Spiritual meditation – This meditation is used in eastern religions, such as Hinduism, Christian faith and Daoism. It is similar to prayer. It can be practiced at home or at a place of worship.
- Focused meditation – This type of meditation involves concentration using any of the five senses. Like focusing on something internal, like breathe. It can also be done by counting beads of a Mala or staring at a candle flame. This meditation is for those who requires focus in life.
- Movement meditation – it is an active form of meditation where the movement guides you. This practice may include walking through the woods, gardening, etc. it is an effective way of meditation for those who find peace in actions.
- Mantra meditation – This meditation use’s a repetitive sound to clear the mind. It can be a word, phrase or sound such as the popular “om.”
- Transcendental meditation – it is the most popular type of meditation all around the world. This practice is for those who like structure and are serious about maintaining a meditation practice.
Benefits of meditation
Meditation has the following benefits,
- Makes you feel happier
- Improves your memory
- Makes you feel more grateful
- Reduces stress
- Improves concentration
- Improves sleep
- Improves decision making
- Encourages mindfulness
- Encourages a healthy lifestyle
- Reduces back pain
- Reduces loneliness
- Helps in fighting addiction
How to meditate
Meditation can be practiced in different ways, one of the simple methods to practice meditation is as following.
- Find a quite spot
- Sit comfortably; sit cross legged on the floor if preferred.
- Focus on breathe.
- Feel the breathe going in and out
- Notice thoughts that arise
- Gently return to the breathe-calmly let the thoughts pass and come back to the present by focusing on the breathe
- Aim for 5 minutes
- Practice every day – be more concerned with making this a habit as opposed to the quality of the session.
- Make progress patiently.
Sports play a very important role in overall development of a child. Whether it is mental, physical or psychological growth.
Sports have always proved to be beneficial in development of a person. It is moreover an integral part of life. There are some important benefits of sports,
Sports help to reduce the levels of stress. They help one to deviate away from other things that may be stressing them; they are able to focus on having fun playing their favorite sport for some time.Read More
Sports also help towards the development of a healthier body, as it requires more off physical activity.
Sports also helps develop certain values as, team work, management, leadership qualities, better thinking abilities, better decision making power.
Nowadays youth is more attracted towards junk food or unhealthy food and leisure, resulting in increase of obesity among the youth creating severe health related problems. Involvement in sports helps one stay fit and active, as compared to those who believe more in leisure. It also helps a person maintain a good body shape. Those who participate in sports have a higher metabolism as compared to the lazy ones.
There are a few benefits of sports as under,
- It helps in developing greater bone strength
- It reduces anxiety and depression
- It helps improve physical fitness
- It helps develop physical skills
- It reduces stress
- Greatly improves brain functioning
- Improves concentration
- Reduce obesity rates
- Improves memory
- Teaches important life skills to students
- Makes children feel valued.